I love to roast green cabbage with some olive oil and sea salt (like this), but the other day something a little spicier was calling to me. I combined some of my favorite Indian flavors with a jalapeno from our garden to create this cabbage curry dish, and it really hit the spot.
Makes 2 large servings
1/2 head green cabbage, chopped
1-2 gloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
1/4 onion, diced
1 cup black beans
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon curry powder
Dash of garam masala
Dash of salt and pepper
Water as needed
2 cups cooked brown rice
1. In a large pan, saute the garlic, onion, and jalapeno in a little olive oil over medium heat until slightly brown.
2. Add cabbage, spices, and a little splash of water if things are starting to stick.
3. Continue to cook, adding water as needed, until cabbage is soft and slightly translucent.
4. Add black beans and cook until warm.
5. Serve over rice and top with additional sauces/garnishes of your choice (Sriracha, green onions, etc.)
I also made this dish another time, but, instead of using Indian spices, I added lots of fresh lime juice and cilantro. We wrapped it all up in some whole wheat tortillas, added hot sauce, and had ourselves a little Mexican feast. It was so good.
Healthy, cheap, easy-to-find, tasty, and versatile - you gotta love cabbage!